According to Strategy Analytics global smartphone shipments reached 293 million units in 2010, which is almost doubling the figures from 2008 and 2009. This demonstrates the growing importance of optimising you ads campaigns for mobile phones, particularly for smartphones such as iPhone, Android etc.
Google AdWords allows you to easily extend the reach of any existing campaign to the mobile platform. The following tips will help you to optimise your PPC campaign for mobiles.
- Analyse device statistics – This enables you to evaluate the campaigns performance for both computers and mobile devices separetly. This can be viewed from selecting: Segment > Device, when in Google AdWords.
- Create separate campaigns – Creating seperate campaigns and ad groups for your ads that appear on mobile devices makes it easier to view performance for mobile ads separately to laptops and desktops. From this you can determine if using mobile ads is the best approach for your business.
- Customise Ads – Having separate campaigns and ad groups for mobile devices will allow you to customise ads, keywords and bids and in turn develop mobile-specific messaging. It will also allow you to test keywords and types of ads separately as different ways may be more appealing on different mediums.
- Optimise Landing pages – Websites appear differently on mobile phones than on desktops and laptops. Ensure that calls to actions are on your landing page that’s easily visible this will increase usability for visitors who access your site through their mobile.
- Avoid Flash – Most mobile devices don’t support Flash images, so ensure that your landing page is written in HTML and contains little or no Flash images in order to appeal to site visitors who arrive through mobile devices.