Alt attributes are used to describe images to search spiders.
- Search spiders cannot see them normally, but it’s also a handy way to add in content and keywords that assist with your images being found on search engines.
- To use this correctly, all images should have unique and relevant keyword names.
- Alt tags are displayed to users when the cursor is rested on the image.
Title tags describe online documents and is the best way to use keywords on a page.
- The title tags appear at the top of the browser, in results pages on search engines and external sites.
- The title tag is 70 characters or less and should contain keywords that are accurate to the page it is on, as well as the company name.
- Avoid using link words like “the” and “and” always place the most important words at the start of the title tag.
Meta descriptions simply let search engines know what a page is about.
- They are important in gaining the right response from search engines and also for generating click throughs.
- The best length for this is 150 to 160 characters and should include keywords relevant to the page it leads to.
- Each page should be optimised around certain keywords and these should be in the meta description, title tag and content
Search engines use sitemaps to understand the website layout.
- This makes it easier for it to crawl the page.
- Sitemaps are an opportunity to use keywords and provide metadata.
- Sitemaps need to be submitted to search engines, in Googles case you must submit it to Google Webmaster Tools.
- This is used alongside a site map to instruct search engines about your website. Before crawling a site, the search engine will check the robot.txt to make sure there are no pages that are restricted. This is really only needed if there is a page on your site that you do not want being crawled by search engines.
- To use rich snippets, a html markup has to be added to the site.
Search engines do not have the time to look too deeply into any given site, so this is a good way of assisting your SEO.
This is used to restructure a pages background information, so it does not change the layout of the page itself, so that important content is higher up and therefore easier to find for crawlers.